Sunday, October 18, 2009

Adventures in Jean-ology!

Saturday I had a rare shopping day in "town." I was supposed to have a massage and facial that morning . . . supposed to being the key word here. When I arrived at the spa there was a note with my name on it taped to the door saying my appointment was cancelled! And apparently, sometime between Saturday and the last time she cancelled my appointment she "lost" my number and couldn't call me.

So there I was dressed and ready to go with nothing to do . . . I decided for the first time in 4 years I'd go blue jean shopping. Currently, I wear mostly hand-me-downs from my super fashionable sister and her super fashionable co-worker, which suits me just fine because they buy nicer clothes than me and it saves me money. But I needed a pair of jeans bought just for me.

Off to the mall I went - first stop Dillard's . . . there I just got a little overwhelmed with the vast amount of jeans and the departments I'd have to stop in to try them all on. I just left without trying any on.

Surely, the Gap will have a jean for me!! Nope, somehow between my size in regular length and my size in average/ankle length we lost about a foot - I felt like Goldilocks - one was too big and the one was too small, except unlike her I didn't find any "just right."

My last jean purchase came from New York & Company so I knew they'd have the perfect fit . . . perfect if I was a plumber! This momma cannot do super low rise!!

To prove I was still hip, I tried Abercrombie, ultimately that just proved I'm almost 30 and shouldn't shop there! The music was loud which is the usual old lady complaint but that didn't really bother me. What bothered me I couldn't see!! It was so dimly lit that I had to basically get on the floor and gaze intently at the labels to figure out what size they were! I guess they were trying to save money on electricity since they spend all their profits on pouring bottles of cologne everywhere. My head hurt so bad from the smell. Still determined that no amount of light shortage or headache inducing smells would stop me I decided to try on the Emma Bootcut jean. Not really sure what "Emma" looks like but they was no way in Hades that a boot was going to fit anywhere between my leg and the pant. Finally told the ultra-cheerful sales girl I was too old to shop there I left!

Ugh, four stores down and still no jeans!

I go to the Buckle and stop at the first table to look at jeans, I just figured my strategy would be to pick up every style in my size and camp out in the dressing room. Well-meaning sales girl approaches and asks if I've tried on their Stella fit before, I say no, she polites explains that its their ultra low rise jean and is that what I'm interested in. I'm thankful for her help but really all I hear is "there is no way your post-baby C-section body is fitting into ultra low rise jeans!" A little discouraged I allow her to suggest some styles - word to the wise if trying on Culture, go two sizes bigger than what you normally would! That was my first style to try and I was still a little discouraged by the fact Savannah (super helpful sales girl) could tell I didn't need ultra low rise so the fact that my first jean only had room for one leg made it ten times worse!

I ended up leaving the Buckle broke (seriously, with jeans at this price there is a reason I only by a pair every 4 years!) but with fabulously cute jeans!

Maybe jean shopping isn't so bad after all! After all, along the way I picked up three tops and a pair of shoes!

mindy

1 comment:

Lauren said...

That was SO well-written, Mindy! I think every girl in the world can relate to that story! Glad you came out with a cute "splurge" pair!