Friday, October 29, 2010

Hooray for Elmer!


Today's was Mason's school's book parade.  It's the finale to their Red Ribbon Week and today's theme was something like Who Needs Drugs, I Want to Read!  Each class picked a book and the whole class dressed like the central character or various characters in the book.  Mrs. Lynch's class picked Elmer by David McKee about an elephant who doesn't look like all the other elephants in his herd.  The kids made trunks in school and they were each supposed to dress up in different colors.  This lead to Mason and I attempting to tie dye a T-shirt for the first time . . . interesting to say the least!  If you are going to try this I recommend following the directions!  Mason likes his shirt though so that is all that matters!

It was really cold this morning so Mason is in the red jacket and you can't see much of his shirt!



After the parade was his class Halloween party!  Me, the least cute & crafty mom, was in charge of the party! I think it was fun!! Thankfully lots of several parents were able to stay and help out!!  I even ate a hamburger in the school cafeteria -- eek! I wouldn't even eat there when I went to school but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

Thanks to all my super crafty & cute friends for their ideas . . . we had 4 centers, one was making ghost suckers, which didn't take long so luckily Kelly had sent some Halloween games to help fill the time, the second was decorating treat bags with markers, foam Halloween stickers, and Halloween stamps, third was Halloween colored play-doh rolled out and cut into Halloween shapes, and last Mrs. Lynch did a center where the kids got to "buy" vampire teeth, spider rings, and mini rats with play money to work on their math skills!

After activities they headed to recess while we set out their cookies, ice cream, Cheetos, and juice and loaded their freshly made treat bags with tons of loot!  I think it was a success!  I'll have a better idea of what to expect if I ever do this again!


1 comment:

The Doyals said...

Great job Mindy! I now knight you room mother of the year!!!