Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Good Ol' Country Day

We have been so busy with revival this week that my family just needed a day of family togetherness today! After church, I went over to my parents house for my sister, Amy, to do my taxes for me - nothing like waiting until the last minute!! While we were working, my brother, Josh, took Mason to "whack thistles." For those of you, unfamilar with country living, thistles are the tall prickly things growing in the middle of the pasture! You have to dig them up to make them die! Mason & Josh headed out with their machetes to attack the thistle problem but really just for fun! They had been planning this for weeks! So my sweetie headed off with his John Deere camo hat, John Deere t-shirt, work jeans, and rubber boots and Josh left with my instructions to return my sweet country boy with all his fingers and toes and arms and legs!

In the midst of this Blake, my brother-in-law, and Ryan, headed into town to buy seeds for our new family garden. My mom headed to my house to nap while Conner was still sleeping (since Ryan was leaving).

All the boys returned about the same time and headed into the garden that my dad had disked up a few weeks before. It was too cute to see Mason out there - shirt off, shovel in hand - hard at work!

Conner and Mom finally woke up and came back home, well to my childhood home, and Conner and Dad went riding on the 4-wheeler. Mason came in sweating and asking for water but not at all wanting to stop working! Pretty soon thanks to all their hard work we'll have watermelons, squash, peppers, peas, zuchini and lots more!

We will still have a lot of weeding and work to do but I think it will be a fun time together! The smell of the air and the sound of the cows bellowing made it an all together perfect day!

I jokingly told my dad, who used to be a dairy farmer, that all we needed now was a few milk cows and we'd be pretty self-sustaining! So in the event of war or famine we'll be okay! Or if Jesus comes back and you're still here - well shame on you - but at least now you know where to find some food!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I can smell the country just from reading this post, Mindy! I do miss the days like you've just described...not enough to move back to the country (at least not yet)...but enough to make me want to plant my little herb garden I keep talking to Ben about. Hey--it's a start! ;)