Monday, April 5, 2010

Update

Just a quick post to let you know I talked to LA State Representative Richard Burford (R-Stonewall) of District 7 (Southern Caddo & DeSoto Parishes) about Louisiana law regarding if registered sex offenders could attend school functions if they have children in school.

A representative from his office called me this morning to let me know the answer and it is YES sex offenders are allowed in our schools! Paraphrasing . . . a registered sex offender who has a child in school may attend school activities. He/She must ask the Superintendent for approval for each and every function he wishes to attend. The Superintendent must then give the Principal 24 hours notice of the offenders arrival. When he arrives he must sign in at the office. If he will be working with children then he must be supervised by a staff member at all times. He must notify the office when he leaves.

That is how the law reads; however that may or may not be how its implented in the real world.

I do want to give a big THANK YOU to State Rep. Burford and his aide, Brandy Pearce, for answering my question so quickly. I contacted him on Easter Sunday and I had my answer by 10:30 a.m. this morning.

No comments: