Thursday, September 16, 2010

Cutting the Apron Strings

You know how most parents really look forward to their children's milestones? Well not me - I hate them! To me that just means I am one step closer to losing my babies to sports or girls or college or marriage and all those things that replace the mommy's of little boys!  In order to prevent this I baby and coddle my children and try to do everything for them! Well then preschool comes along and tries (and succeeds) in teaching him independence and all the sudden he doesn't need me quite as much as before.

Which leads me to yesterday -- his first playdate from school where I just dropped him off! Even Conner cried - "my EE with me, my EE with me."  The family was going out to eat and I told Mason that I would come get him if he didn't want to eat but that he was welcome to go if he was having fun . . . to which he replied that he wasn't scared to go and he wanted to go and he wanted to do things alone without me . . . but don't worry mommy because he still loves me! Talk about break my heart!!

The playdate was successful and he had a wonderful time and I am very proud of him in a bittersweet sort of way.  Ryan asked him if H was his best friend and his answer was music to my ears '' "no, Mommy is still my best friend!"  I'll savor that for however much longer it lasts . . .

1 comment:

The Doyals said...

So glad he had a good time. His comment about you being his best friend is the sweetest thing!