Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Dixie Corn Maze Field Trip

Last Tuesday Conner's class had a field trip to the Dixie Corn Maze.  Last year I got to take Mason and so I was excited to take Conner this go around! The morning started off with a series of mishaps that made me wonder if we'd ever get there though!!

Our power went out around 3:30 a.m. and when I woke up around 6 a.m. it was still off.  Here in the country, no power = no water, therefore mornings like this are terrible! I called the power company again and they assured me my power would be back on by 6:45 a.m. After a few mental calculations I determined we would have enough time to wait until then to get moving and out the door by 7:20 - I was wrong!

First our power did not come back on as promised and secondly the overnight storm had dropped the temperatures drastically!  Everything I had set out for us to wear the night before was no longer needed and I was left digging through drawers with a flashlight looking for khaki pants! We were finally dressed - the kids in their uniforms and I in the clothes I had worn the night before to Mason's soccer game with no makeup and greasy hair - fabulous!

We were strapped into our car seats and I was quietly singing praises for Ryan remembering to manually open the garage for me . . . that is until I backed into it because it needed to be open about 4 inches more! By this time the power has come back on and I spent 10 minutes on the phone with Ryan trying to figure out how to get the door back on track and reset to automatic - nothing I do works.  We finally bail from the car into Ryan's truck and head to school - 20 minutes late.  Because we are late I in my disheveled state must first go in the office and then march the kids all the way through the school! By the time I get home I have 25 minutes to shower, pack Conner and I lunches and get on the road.  This does not happen in 25 minutes!

My dad comes to my rescue and fixes the garage door and I can take my car to Dixie and I am only 45 minutes late!! Luckily, because of parents like me, the buses are late too and I only arrive 5 minutes after them!  When I get there they have Conner wrapped in a blanket because his bad mother forgot to send a jacket to school - I redeemed myself however by bringing it with me on the field trip.  I should have packed one for myself though because it was freezing!!!! FREEZING! Another mom had an extra jacket that I borrowed - thank you!

Here is Conner with his pumpkin!
It was a muddy mess in the pumpkin patch!


The corn bin/box! The kids loved this and it was warm in there!
It was really hard to tell the kids apart because apparently all of them have navy sweatshirt jackets!


The 4-wheeler train


I think all the kids had the most fun on the trampoline thing!


The field trip ended early because of the cold weather.  We missed our picnic but I was happy to get out of the wind!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

FUN! I'm sorry you lost power!