Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Operation Christmas Child, Part 4: Getting Serious

I mentioned in my last post about OCC that my sister and I were going to a Countdown event and I am so glad we did!  We got lots of ideas and supplies plus I was able to get a little inspiration to make our event a success!

I am so excited, first, that my sister & Blake are working alongside me in this.  It means so much that their hearts are with me on this and that they feel passionate about these sweet kiddos!  Before the event Amy went to Michaels and got 162 activity pads and I think like 12 sticky hands for $14!! The deals are out there if you look for them!

Those of you who know me well know I am not crafty at all (sorry, mom, but really its OK I know I'm not!); therefore my donation box was well a cardboard box that I got Erica to write donation on because my handwriting is too messy!

I asked a friend, Daye, to come up with some ideas so that our cause would get more attention.  We moved our donation table from the foyer, where it was often by-passed by it was croweded, to the sanctuary.  She had lots of great ideas and I think it looks FANTASTIC!  My heart was so happy when the video about OCC played during church and many people visited our table for more information after the service! Many thanks to Erica also for making the cute poster board in the background too!

See what happens when the body of Christ uses their talents in conjunction with others - a cardboard box can become this!

To the right in the picture I packed two sample boxes for a boy & a girl to give an idea of what the finished product looks like. I've copied the list of contents from Word to show you that was able to pack a whole box with GOOD stuff, about 20 items, for less than $14/box.  That is someone's whole Christmas and for my kids, and probably yours, that is less than what is spent on their stocking stuffers!

BOY BOX
• 2 pc. Pajamas $3.00
• Long sleeved flannel shirt $1.00
• Truck sun-catcher $0.68
• Bowl $0.25
• Mittens $0.25
• Frog $0.84
• Slinky $0.19
• Bouncy ball $0.19
• 3 dinosaurs $0.14
• Dry erase board $1.50
• Scissors $0.74
• Puzzle $1.00
• Beach ball $0.50
• Sticker book $1.00
• Wooden boy $0.68
• Dinosaur pencil $0.12
• Toy car $0.68
• Stencil $0.08
• Chapstick $0.75
Total cost of Christmas gift $13.59

GIRL BOX
• SHOES $3.00
• DOLL $1.00
• BEACH BALL $0.50
• Scissors $0.74
• Puzzle $1.00
• Wooden GIRL $0.68
• Stencil $0.08
• Chapstick $0.75
• Toy BUTTERFLY car $0.68
• Slinky $0.19
• 2 BRACELETS $0.12
• RING $0.19
• ACTIVITY BOOK $0.09
• STUFFED ANIMAL KEY CHAIN $0.20
• DISNEY PRINCESS PEN $0.33
• CROSS SUN CATCHER $0.68
• CALCULATOR $1.00
• TENNIS BALL $0.50
• NECKLACE KIT $0.20
• HAIR BANDS $0.30
TOTAL COST OF CHRISTMAS GIFT $12.23

No comments: