Friday, June 4, 2010

It's the Simple Things in Life . . .

Our endless stream of birthday parties and events have slowed down and its been nice this week to enjoy the simple things in life because those are what really matter! A few enjoyable things from my week . . .
  1. Sunday we brought home fresh squash and zuchinni from our garden that went perfect with my pork chops on Memorial Day. We bought a watermelon for dessert - yummy!
  2. Sitting on the front porch Tuesday evening after work with Conner watching Brandon (works for my dad) bush hog. Conner passed up cartoons for a chance to watch a "vroom, vroom." The only thing he couldn't figure out is why he wasn't riding on it! Time just stood still as we sat in silence and watched it go back and forth.
  3. Returning to the porch with the whole family every night this week to eat homemade banana ice cream that my Mama made! My barefoot boys picked up grass the bush hog left behind and had "hay races," where they ran back and forth dumping hay on the ground and seeing who could get there the fastest.
  4. Spending Friday at home with the babies catching grasshoppers! I am an expert!
  5. Being a super cool mom (lol) that would pass a turtle on the road that no one else saw and still backing up and going to get it so that the kids can see and then at their insistence carrying it home in my car! Only to find out that I brought a snapping turtle home so then we journeyed toward the sound of the bullfrogs to release it near the water!

I don't think I could have gotten any closer to the "good ol' days" this week and I LOVED it! I am so blessed to live where, as one lady put it today, "even the FBI can't find me!" Because it is the simple things in life like listening to grasshoppers and bullfrogs and watching tractors go by with the ones you love that matter!

No comments: