Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Last Time . . .

Mason is sick today. When I picked him up from VBS on Sunday night I noticed he was feeling a little warm and by Monday morning it was all out fever and sore throat. We went to the doctor today and sure enough he has strep throat.

I told my mom that I am very sad that he has strep because I can still vividly remember all my battles with strep before having my tonsils removed. However I am so excited that he finally has an illness that requires actual medicine and a shot instead of leaving with instructions totake Tylenol and Motrin! For the first time in 5 years I feel as though going to the doctor served some purpose.

We had our first shot, other than a vaccine, and it was terrible while we were there but I know it was the best thing to do.

Which brings me to the title of my post, I am so excited that this is the LAST TIME (for the time being) that I will have to choose between work and family. My last day at work is next Tuesday and I will have a post about how much I have loved my job next week but for now can I just say I am relieved that soon this guilt I am feeling now will be no more.

This is the LAST TIME I will have to tell a sick baby that Mommy can't be here to love on you when you feel no good because some stranger needs a loan or something notarized or some other thing a sick baby cares nothing about. This is the LAST TIME I will have to anguish over who gets my time - work or family. This is the LAST TIME I will have to consider calling work and telling them I can't come in and hearing the guilt-trip and all the things I've got to do. This is the LAST TIME I will have to wonder if I made the right choice. I am so relieved.

All you working mommy's out there know what I am talking about . . . even with understanding co-workers like I have it is still gut-wrenching to choose who to disappoint and some days you may actually want to go to work but know its the wrong choice for your child. That constant tug between work and family is exhausting and I'll be happy to tell it good riddance while I can!

1 comment:

Kelly Cobb said...

I definately know that pain!!!!! It's hard to be a working mom! Yay for your last day today :)