Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mason & Mommy's Miscellaneous Day

I have been putting off having a cavity filled and Wednesday was doomsday and to make my day much more exciting I also scheduled an eye doctor appointment. Mason had an appointment later on that day too; therefore following the country rule of "you only make one trip to town per day (and really per week if you can help it) Mason needed to hang out with me all day! And we decided to skip his appointment and head to the movies instead (I wasn't sure how long my dentist appt would last)>

First stop the eye doctor! I was seeing someone different in order to have some spare contacts before out trip and I really liked him! I was also glad Ryan watches Sports Center all the time . . . Dr. Drummond was very excited about the World Cup games and I know NOTHING about soccer but was able to carry on quite well, in my opinion!

I am still blind as a bat but thankfully not getting any worse even though I am not sure I could actually get worse!

Here is my sweet Mason in the waiting room. He waited so patiently and kept busy looking at National Geographic magazines! During my exam he was also fantastic - I had brought him tons to do but he didn't play with anything because he was very interested in the exam and asked lots of good questions!


After the eye doctor we headed over to the nursing home to pick up my MeMaw in her apartment and bring her to the cottages (on the nursing home campus). MeMaw used to live in yellow cottage after her stroke and my dad got to know the people who worked there and some people from our church were going to sing. I had only planned on visiting with my MeMaw and not singing but somehow I got roped into singing also.

We sang some old songs in hopes the residents would remember them. The first was "I'll Fly Away." That songs always sends me down memory lane to Keatchie Heritage Days when I was a girl. I can remember me, Anna, Lauren, Rachel, Mary Lea, Leigh, Elizabeth, and maybe Elise (??) learning how to make bricks with Miss Liz and stitching a quilt on an old-timey loom, running around like wild little girls past the big black pots with old black men stirring greens with a wooden oar and holding our noses because the greens stunk, and my Aunt Jackie working in the General Store dressed like a pioneer woman. That night a family musical group always sang "I'll Fly Away" and I would stop playing light as a feather, stiff as a board (can anyone remember the rest?) to listen - it was my favorite song! Those were the days. We'd stay there all day and then have picnic suppers on quilts and listen to music.

Back on track though, this specific cottage is for residents who have some form of alzheimers, dementia, or other memory related problem. Yet there was one lady who sang every line to all 8 songs. I want to be that lady, who may not remember anything else but can still sing praises to my sweet Jesus.

Here is my fam - Mom & Dad, Me & Mason, & MeMaw - doesn't she look pretty? She had just gotten her hair done!

After singing and visiting, we headed to Chick-fil-a! Here is my sweet pea! He was so good - he came when I told him playtime was over and I only had to say it once - that's a miracle!


Next stop was my old office to sign some papers and then to the dentist. I have never had a cavity before so I had nerves like crazy because I didn't know what to expect. It actually went good and didn't hurt much at all. I have a little bit of a CSI addiction and all I kept thinking about was one day if I'm murdered and dumped in a known spot for prostitues or junkies then at least they will be able to look at my teeth and say "she took good care of them and paid for dental work" and then they'll know to investigate my case further!! Crazy I know!
Last stop before the movies - Best Buy! Holly & Missy told me I need a Flip video camera and I bought one and it didn't work! I took it back and got another one and it didn't work either! I had camera support, customer service, and the Geek Squad looking at it and no one could figure it out. So I guess it wasn't meant to be! Maybe I can find one that works before our trip!
Finally we make it to Tinseltown to watch Toy Story 3! It was a really good movie and Mason had a great time! He got all settled in with his 3D glasses, Junior Mints, and water and enjoyed the show!

We had a really good day together! Can't wait for another Mommy & Mason day!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Ah, the memories of Keatchie Days! I have a picture of all of us in our "pioneer clothes" in the old-time wagons singing our songs! And yes, I can still smell the smell of the greens and wasn't there some type of molasses smell or something? Fun times!