Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Slow and Steady

Since school has started back I've been trying out some new recipes in the slow cooker so that I'm spending less time cooking and more time with Mason after school. The boys love this one! When all the boys (big and small) come in the door the first question is always - "what smells so good?"

I'll be the first to admit it is probably not the healthiest meal but they eat it! My friend Holly might die over the ingredients . . .

Crock Pot Pork Roast (courtesy of Cheryl Bounds via Martha Cathey)
2 lb. pork loin rib eye roast
2 garlic cloves (I used garlic powder)
18 oz Diet or Regular Root Beer
18 oz Honey BBQ Sauce
Tony's
1/4 c. chopped onion

Cut slits in roast & poke garlic in them. Put in Crock Pot and sprinkle with Tony's. Mix root beer and BBQ sauce and pour over roast. Cover with chopped onions.

Cook 1 hour on high and on low for 6 hours (recipe said 12 hours but my cooker didn't take near that long).

I served with green beans and fresh salad & carrots and the boys cleaned their plates!

I also tried these recipes from Taste of Home and they were good!

Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff (I found the seasoning at Super One)
Texas Pork Burritos
BBQ Chicken Baked Potatoes (I just served the chicken and didn't use the baked potatoes) w/Dad's Baked Beans (rave reviews from Ryan)

I ADORE the slow cooker so let me know if you have any good recipes to try!

1 comment:

Kandy said...

Just what I needed! Since school started I am in a mad rush at night to cook and it is soooo hard with 3 children under 4 to get it done before they eat ALL the snacks in the pantry because they are starving! I am trying them all! Thank you!
Kandy