Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Last Day of School!

Once upon a time, there was a little boy named, Mason, who cried whenever he heard the word "school." It didn't matter if you were talking about law school or medical school or any kind of school, as soon as he heard the word he firmly stated, "I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL!"

Then one day his Mommy went to Pre-K round-up just to see what it was about but still being unsure of what to do come August 2009. And the teachers said horrible things like preschoolers have to carry their own lunch trays and part of our job is to teach them independence and other types of terrible things. The Mommy cried and said "no way, this is not for my baby!"

When the Mommy got home Mason asked where she had been and what she had seen and so she told him about school and playgrounds and friends and pet turtles and building blocks and surprisingly the little boy said, "I WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL!"

And so began our pre-school journey and today it's over - I can't believe how fast it has gone by and how much my little boy has grown up!

Of course there have been days he didn't want to get up or days he complained about having to take naps but for the most part he has loved going to school everyday! His teachers are phenominal!

Mason is a curious little boy and loves to ask "why," which is why I think school is so appealing - he loves to learn new things! He had a green smiley face every day but one (scale of 1 to 4, green smiley is a 1)!! The only day he didn't have a green smiley he got a green frowny face, which is a 2 and it was because he ran in the classroom. I think one rule breaking day out of 8 months is OK!

I will never regret my decision to send him and to stick it out the whole school year. He has learned so much educationally and also emotionally and socially. These lessons have been invaluable. Taking a cue from another blog I read, I've learned not to ask who played with him at recess but instead who was he a friend to? Did he help someone up when they fell down? Was he compassionate for others? Who can we pray for in his class - who was absent, who had a bad day, who missed their mommy? And that is something pre-k has taught both of us! I am going to enjoy our summer together but I know kindergarten won't be so scary now and he'll be looking forward to it!

WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU, MASON!

Mason, first day of pre-k, August 12, 2009


Mason, last day of pre-k, May 19, 2010

Mason and Mrs. Shannon, his para


Mason and Mrs. Deas, his teacher


3 comments:

Lauren said...

What a big milestone, Mindy! You're such a great mommy!

The Whalen Family said...

WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU, MINDY!

The Doyals said...

Great job Mason (and Mommy)! I can't believe how much he's grown since the first day of school picture! I know you're very proud of your little man!